Art Analysis Blog





This painting, “Cafe Terrace at Night,” was created in 1888 in France by the Dutch painter Vincent Van Gogh. He is very well-known and influential in the history of Western art. In a decade, he created over 2,100 artworks, including 860 oil paintings. These works mostly focused on landscapes, still lives, and portraits. The piece I have presented shows elements of line, shape value, color, and texture. 


At first glance at this piece, we are attracted to the bright glow of the cafe light contrasting with the dark background that portrays the night with a flicker of stars. This element is called intensity. The bright lights coming from the cafe give us a warm invite to let us picture that we are there enjoying a tea or croissant. Vincent is known for painting his emotional state and his current emotions. I would have never noticed this in the piece is “inviting us to ponder the thoughts they that may be occupying his mind” (Bright Yellows Deep Blues pg1)


Vincent was known for his ability to create firm textures in his pieces. Texture is the use of lines and patterns to give the viewer an idea of smooth and rough surfaces. This is noticeable when looking at the cobb stone road and the cafe's outside wall. If you look closer, it's also evident how smooth the chairs and tables look compared to the tree or the windows above the cafe. 


My third element has to do with the outline and light value used. Numerous lines are used in this canvas. When I mention the line, I want you to look at the large door hinge on the front left and the building outlines on the far right. Notice how Vincet used darker shades to identify each object. He does the complete opposite regarding the lines of the crowd; it gives a sense that we are watching from a distance and can't quite make out who's there and what they are doing. It provides us with a sense of loneliness and isolation.


Going through research, I discovered something exciting: a theory that this canvas is used as symbolist art relating to the Last Supper. Looking closely at the people, one is standing in the middle with long hair. Some people believe that represents Jesus. Twelve people surround him, symbolizing his twelve disciples. In the very back, there appears to be one person leaving the cafe, and that would represent Judah, who betrayed Jesus in the Bible. This is, of course, just a theory and no clear link, but I would ponder it while viewing this piece. 


Regarding placement ideas, I don't think this is something I would have in a house or office as it's so unique, and only a few colors would match it. It would be an excellent piece for a cafe or library where it would match more of the current setting. When I discovered this piece, I thought I might like it as a copy for my room, but now, understanding the loneliness and isolation that follows it, I have changed my mind. I fear every time I would look at it I would get reminded of loneliness and create a depressing atmosphere in a personal room.



My Sources

Anderson, Jacob. “Van Gogh’s Cafe Terrace: Bright Yellows & Deep Blues: 1-St Art Gallery.” 1st Handmade Portraits and Reproductions, 1st Art Gallery, 5 Sept. 2023, www.1st-art-gallery.com/article/vincent-van-goghs-cafe-terrace-at-night/. 

E, Mrs. “The Cafe Terrace at Night by Van Gogh: A Critique.” Creative Thinker, creativethinker24.blogspot.com/2012/03/cafe-terrace-at-night-by-van-gogh.html. Accessed 4 June 2024. 

Sharma, Mahima. “Cafe Terrace at Night: Van Gogh’s Solitude and Love of Night.” SimplyKalaa, 2 Apr. 2024, simplykalaa.com/cafe-terrace-at-night/#:~:text=What%20 elements%20of%20art%20are,art%20used%20in%20the%20 artwork. 

Amykakkuri, et al. “Hidden Meanings.” Seeing Art, 18 Nov. 2015, art1100.wordpress.com/2015/11/18/hidden-meanings. 


Comments

  1. Hello Brayden, I enjoyed reading your analysis and seeing the painting, "Cafe Terrace at Night". The light and textures are the first things I notice in this painting. The lights in the sky make his painting "The Starry Night" come to my mind, and you can see the use of texture that you pointed out in the cobblestone road.
    I like Vincent Van Gogh's work but I agree it’s not something I would probably display in my house due to the colors, it would be nice to see it in a coffee shop though.
    I got curious about where this was painted and did some research. I found this page where you can see what the "Cafe Terrace at Night" looks like now. https://thefogwatch.com/arles-van-gogh-night-cafe/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is cool that I used the same piece for my analysis. We talk about entirely different things. This has given me a new perspective on it.

    The theory of symbolism correlating to the last supper is definitely an interesting one. I will have to take a look into a little more. As far as the owning a copy of the piece, I am looking into a Kindle cover. It would be cool for someone to notice and to start a discussion about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not going to lie this potrait really caught my eye I do appreciate art that puts me into another world, and this scene is truly something captivating so I wonder what it would be like to be there at that time and place, it's easy to imagine it too because the textures on the floors and walls are easy to relate to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Me

Preferences and Perspectives- The Romantic Era